Military History Monthly brings you the details of 3 experts in the field to aid you in your genealogical research.
find my past
Our British Army Service Records 1914-1920 is one of the most significant WWI collections of 2014. The 4.2 million new records, some of which are known as the ‘burnt records’ after enduring heavy bombings during WWI, make for a fascinating insight into the lives of the men who served. Among our other recently released WWI collections is the Pals Battalions, which covers the groups of friends who joined up in response to the famous ‘Your country needs you’ campaign.
You will also find census, birth, marriage, and death records, as well as the UK’s largest online collection of Parish records, allowing you to explore your family history dating back to the reign of Henry VIII. Visit www.findmypast.co.uk today to start exploring your family history with 15% off using code MILITARY14.
• Army soldiers’ documents (before 1882)
• World War I service files
• Officers’ records of service
• Army Lists 1740 to the present
• Regimental histories
• Continuous service engagement books
In addition to online access to military records, familysearch.org offers tools and resources to preserve and share family memories about ancestors that served in the military. Through photos, stories, and documents, users can create memorial pages to share with close and distant relatives to preserve in the FamilySearch archive.
FORCES WAR RECORDS
• British Jewry Book of Honour 1922
• Imperial prisoners of war held in Italy 1943
• Home Guard Officer Lists 1939-1945
• Home Guard Auxiliary Units 1939-1945
• List of Etonians who served in the War 1914-1919 and 1939-1945
• UK British and Commonwealth POWs of Japanese camps 1939-1945
• Bomber/Fighter Command Losses 1939-1945
• London County Council War Service 1914-18
• Cambridge University war list 1914-1918
• Bomber Command Ruhr Offensive March–July 1943
• The Crimean War–Naval and Marines Medal Roll
• The India Medal (1895) Roll
• The Army of India Medal Roll 1799-1826
• The Kaffir Wars Medal Roll
• The South Africa Medal (1877) Roll
• The India General Service Medal (1854) Roll
• Serving personnel on the 1861 census
• 1870s Military Discharges
• Royal Artillery 1877-1881
• 2nd Afghan War 1878-80 Casualty Roll
To see this article as it appeared in issue 50 of Military History Monthly, click here.